Saturday, June 16, 2012

Old Made New: Tastefully Textured Dining Set

I have been searching high and low for a dining set that felt right for my space. Everything in my budget was either very modern or plain or brand new. My style is transitional so I was looking for something traditional or neoclassical that I could refinish. One day I was sitting at my girlfriends mother's apartment discussing her move into her new house. Sitting at her dining table I asked what she planned to do with it. She told me she was going to throw it away! When I said I would take it she offered to bring it when she moved. I couldn't believe my good fortune, a free dining set and free delivery! Not only free but not plain or generic in style. As I sat there something happened, the table and chairs spoke to me. They said they were tired of being ordinary, that they wanted to be noticed for their beauty and strength. That is when I noticed how truly beautiful the set was with its neoclassic elements! The oval shape of the table was perfect for my tiny apartment (no corners to bump into). Quadrangular, tapered legs of the table terminating in rounded spade feet. The chairs had the same legs without the rounded spade feet, saber rear legs, rectangular back with a central splat with cane insets, and finials. The material on the chairs was very old and could be easily replaced.
The table and chairs when I received them.

I got excited because I saw exactly how it should look in my mind. This set needed to be glossy and black with silver accenting the minimal carving in the chair backs and table legs. The tabletop was in pretty bad shape so I decided to do this decoupage faux leather treatment I had been dying to try. The technique is simple:
1. Prepare your surface (clean, sand, etc.)
2. Tear and wrinkle brown paper bag (or brown craft paper).
3. Brush on a thin layer of modge podge, put the torn paper on it, then brush modge podge on top.
4. Repeat step 3 until entire surface is covered, including covering the edges if desired.
5. Once that dries wipe on water-based wood stain, apply second layer if desired.
6. After completely dry apply spray-on or brush-on lacquer for a lasting finish.

Decoupage faux leather technique.


I also knew I wanted to use completely different but complementary fabrics on the chair seats. To me that offers contrast, and a more custom, less generic feel to the chairs.


The brand new (old) dining set after I refinished it.

Faux leather tabletop (top left); Chair back up close (top right); Table leg and chair seats up close (bottom).
All in all it only took me a day to complete giving this old furniture new life. It was very inexpensive since all I had to buy were the supplies which came up to about $30.00! I already had the fabric (samples I got from Dogwood). I could not be happier with the way it turned out. It looks perfect in my dining area at my apartment!



079.1

No comments:

Post a Comment